My Blog List

Printed design on silk by Maryann

Printed design on silk by Maryann
Printed design on silk by Maryann

Friday, November 22, 2013

2013 Annual Appeal Nears Half Way Mark!

There's still time to make your 2013 contribution to SDA's 2013 annual appeal. We've received over $5,000 in donations so far; now we hope you'll help double that amount before the year ends to fund grants and awards for 2014.

To help you understand how important SDA's grants and awards are, here are comments from three K-12 teachers who received full scholarships to attend the 2011 SDA conference in Minneapolis. Two, Christine and Jeanette, met for the first time there and found out they share a similar vision; they are now partnering to make it a reality.

Christine Miller
Fibers have been a passion my entire life. I'm a high school art teacher at Williams High School in Plano, Texas, and also working towards a graduate degree in art education at Texas Woman's University. I've discovered there aren't many K-12 fiber art curriculum resources available for teachers so they must go out scouting for them. My graduate project will be to develop a K-12 fiber arts curriculum website that will be a resource for teachers everywhere; it will be the legacy project of my life.



Jeanette Thompson
As a teacher, I'm always trying to figure out ways to do things with a very small budget. The desire to bring fiber materials into the classroom led me to teach art quilting at the after school center. In my classroom I introduced sewing and we used felts to make images and patterns and designs. This past year we did a project based on artist Susan Shie. We did some weaving and created looms with cardboard.

Now I'm working with Christine Miller to develop a K-12 fiber art curriculum that will include video interviews of contemporary fiber arts and related projects and materials to go with that. It will be a whole package, so if a teacher has never done anything with fiber or fabric, there will be materials to make it easier to implement the modules in their classrooms.



Lea McComas  
I returned from the SDA conference bursting with numerous plans for art activities for myself as well as my students. At the time, I worked in a day treatment facility with troubled teens, and I was able to team up with staff social workers to provide some therapeutic fiber arts activities for that population. Creating a batik banner for our school lobby and weaving a mural in the chain link fence around our campus were two favorites. 
  


Your gift of $500, $250, $150 - or any amount - will have real impact and benefit.

Please click here to give online. Or, mail your donation to Surface Design Association, PO Box 20430, Albuquerque, NM 87154, USA. Also, please consider our new credit card pledge option and spread out your giving over 12 months. Just call 707-829-3110 to make a monthly pledge.

Many thanks,

                                             
                                      
Diane Sandlin                                               Jane Dunnewold
Executive Director                                        President   

No comments:

Post a Comment